Help us build, program, and promote the Lafitte Greenway as a great public space.
Call for board members: 2018-2021 Term
Application Deadline: Friday, January 5, 2018
Friends of Lafitte Greenway was formed in early 2006 by New Orleans community members who saw an opportunity to rethink the city's landscape to enhance livability, environmental sustainability, open space equity, and health. The organization built a network of diverse constituents who shared its vision of preserving the continuous open space in the former Lafitte rail corridor, and developing a greenway amenity that encourages active living, facilitates economic development, and links adjacent neighborhoods, cultural features, historic sites, retail areas, and public spaces.
The Lafitte Greenway opened in November 2015 as a 2.6 mile pedestrian and bike path and linear park, connecting neighborhoods from Armstrong Park to City Park. Friends of Lafitte Greenway is the City of New Orleans’ official partner, working together to program, develop, and steward the Greenway.
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is a community-driven organization, guided by a Board of Directors, members, volunteers, and staff. Our mission is to build, program, and promote the Lafitte Greenway as a great public space.
During your 3-year tenure the organization has big plans to:
- Develop a strategic plan in 2018 to define programmatic and development goals
- Strengthen our partnership with NORD and the City of New Orleans to ensure that the Greenway is a safe, vibrant, and active public space
- Increase membership, sponsorship, and grant revenue
- Support capital projects on the Greenway, such as community gardens and the Greenway’s extension, and advance the community’s vision for the Greenway
- Grow our Health, Nature, and Community programs
(photo from nola.gov/bike-share)
The New Orleans bike share program will be launching this winter. The first 70 stations will roll out over the course of 4-6 weeks beginning in December; out of those intial 70 stations five will be along the Greenway. The locations along the greeenway are N. Carrolton, N. Jefferson Davis, N.Galvez, N. Roman, and Basin St. Click here to access an interactive map of all the bike share stations.