Title: Tulane AmeriCorps VISTA - Development & Community Outreach Associate
Posted: April 26, 2016
April 26, 2016
Working to build, program, and promote the Lafitte Greenway as a great public space.
About Friends of Lafitte Greenway
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is a nonprofit organization that has worked since 2006 to ensure that the Lafitte Greenway develops into a vibrant community asset through advocacy, planning, programming, community engagement, and fundraising. Open since November 2015, the City of New Orleans’ Lafitte Greenway is a 2.6-mile public linear park and multi-use trail connecting New Orleans’ historic Mid-City, Bayou St. John, Tremé, Faubourg Lafitte, and French Quarter neighborhoods. The Greenway transforms a former industrial railway into a recreational green space, featuring a 12-foot-wide bike and walking path, trees, stormwater retention features, and new sports fields.
The Lafitte Greenway provides a unique opportunity to advance community ties and the health and wellness of all New Orleanians. Friends of Lafitte Greenway believes that through excellent programming and thoughtful community engagement, the Lafitte Greenway will connect people to the great outdoors and to each other and engender health, economic and environmental benefits for New Orleans.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) was founded in 1965 as a national service program to fight poverty in America. AmeriCorps VISTA is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). About 8,000 VISTAs are placed each year in more than 1,100 projects in low-income communities around the country.
Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve at a nonprofit organization or public agency. In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance and health benefits during their service, and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend after completing their service.
VISTA members generally do not provide direct services. Instead, they focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, foster economic development, and otherwise assist low-income communities. VISTAs develop programs to meet a need, write grants, and recruit and train volunteers. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
About the AmeriCorps VISTA Program at Tulane
Tulane University partners with Friends of Lafitte Greenway to act as the primary connection with the AmeriCorps National Service Network. Through this Tulane partnership, AmeriCorps VISTAs participating in this program participate in weekly professional development trainings with a cohort of fellow VISTA members, and have access to free Tulane University housing located in the Central Business District. VISTA volunteers in this program receive support from Tulane’s Center for Public Service (CPS) throughout the VISTA year, and serve as a liaison between Friends of Lafitte Greenway and Tulane University.
Development & Community Outreach Associate Key Duties
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers to participate in beautification and maintenance of the Lafitte Greenway.
- Engage community members in the development of Lafitte Greenway community gardens; coordinate development of gardening program.
- Explore, engage, and develop strong partnerships with community, organizational, and institutional partners and stakeholders.
- Serve as an ambassador to the wider community through public presentations, outreach, social media, newsletters, flyering, and educational activities.
- Support Community Health Program Coordinator in development and enhancement of other health and wellness programs including Get Fit the Greenway physical fitness program, Hike the Lafitte Greenway event, Youth Explorers environmental program, and the community Ambassadors program.
- Assist planning and production of the Greenway Soirée fundraiser.
- Enhance and implement donor management system to communicate with existing and prospective donors.
- Research and identify individual, corporate, and foundation prospects. Draft and assemble reports, proposals and solicitations to foundations and other donors.
- Support expansion of membership and sponsorship programs.
- Passion for the mission of Friends of Lafitte Greenway and a desire to serve as an ambassador for this transformative project.
- Holds a high school degree or equivalent with 2 years of professional experience. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in an applicable field of study are preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to pay attention to details and to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Self-directed, able to develop personal work plan, and to work both independently and collaboratively with partners.
- Strong communication, written, verbal and tactical skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and internet navigation.
- Knowledge and passion for issues relating to public health, nutrition, recreation, local food systems, active transportation, and community coordination.
- Trust-builder who can develop and maintain relationships with various community stakeholders and build consensus.
- Ability to communicate respectfully, easily, and well with people of all social and cultural backgrounds, ages, and experience levels.
- Contributes to creating a work and learning environment and culture that is positive, inclusive, and committed to serving the needs of the community.
- Maintains discretion, particularly when dealing with constituents in the community.
- Flexible, adaptable, positive attitude. Open to feedback and willing to learn new tools and techniques.
- Ability to travel within the New Orleans area.
- Ability to bike and lift equipment (up to 30 lbs.)
- Flexible hours with ability to work some nights and weekends.
Duration of Service: 12-month, full-time service beginning August, 2016. VISTA volunteers may be invited to return for a second year of service.
Compensation: Modest AmeriCorps living allowance and health benefits during term of service; option to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend after completing service. Housing provided by Tulane University.
To Apply: Qualified applicants, please email a resume and cover letter to Sophie Harris at email@example.com by Tuesday, May 3rd. For more information about Friends of Lafitte Greenway visit LafitteGreenway.org.
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Friends of Lafitte Greenway provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Friends of Lafitte Greenway complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Friends of Lafitte Greenway expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Friends of Lafitte Greenway employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.