As the City moves forward with Phase One: Safest At Home of the Safe Reopening initiative, some businesses, parks, playgrounds, and more are beginning to open with restrictions. While the Greenway trail and green spaces have remained open through the COVID-19 pandemic, Phase One includes some loosened restrictions for the recreational spaces on the Greenway, and continues to urge residents to take precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Greenway Fitness Parks & Playgrounds are now open at N Prieur and Jeff. Davis Parkway. The outdoor equipment is being routinely sanitized for your safety. Do not use shared equipment if you are feeling sick, or if you’re especially vulnerable to infection. If you choose to use these facilities, be sure to keep following the guidelines below. The FitLot, playground, and tennis court at Sojourner Truth Neighborhood Center (Greenway at N Miro) remain closed, because they are managed by a private company that does not have the resources to open them safely.
Social Distancing & Safety on the Greenway: Phase One Reopening
- Don't leave home if you’re not feeling well, or if you’ve come into contact with someone with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Keep a 6 ft distance from others - The Greenway Trail is 12 feet wide, so keep to the outer edges of the trail and pass one at a time.
- Look for the least crowded path. If your schedule is flexible, try going to the Greenway when it’s less crowded, like early morning and mid-day.
- Don't gather in groups larger than a reasonable household size - this includes sports like basketball, football, soccer, and frisbee that require you to come in close contact with others or to touch a shared object.
- Exercise caution on fitness parks and playgrounds. While these facilities are being routinely sanitized, you should take care when touching anything that other people have touched. Sanitize your hands before and after using equipment, avoid touching your face, and if you can, bring sanitizing wipes to wipe down surfaces before and after use.
- Avoid water fountains. Instead, bring your own water bottle.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you go outside.
- When you get home, take off your shoes at the door.
- You don’t need to wear a mask while exercising, but if you’re taking the Greenway to get somewhere that will require you to go indoors (like an essential job, a bike shop, the grocery store or your favorite reopened bar or restaurant), be sure to bring a mask, scarf, bandana, or other face covering with you to cover your nose and mouth when you arrive.
- Stay Up to Date! Be sure you're getting reliable information about the developing outbreak: check ready.nola.gov for updates about New Orleans' COVID-19 response.
City of New Orleans Reopening Guidelines