Explorers takes New Orleans youth in grades K-8 on fun, active, and educational excursions into nature in the heart of New Orleans on the Lafitte Greenway. We use the Greenway as a classroom and a playground to inspire and empower kids to become the next generation of environmental stewards. Our classes align with Louisiana GLEs and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Discover the joys of exploring the outdoors on the Lafitte Greenway;
- Examine their role in contributing to a safe and healthy environment;
- Become leaders of environmental stewardship for their families, peers, and communities, and
- Experience active, healthy lifestyle choices.
Excursions include play-based learning, teambuilding games, self-directed learning through scavenger hunts and other activities. We offer excursions in modules that can be chosen separately or combined to accommodate a variety of schedules, whether you’re visiting for one class-period or taking a half-day!
Water Wonders: Why does water matter to New Orleans?
- Green Infrastructure Scavenger Hunt (30-45 min)
- Journey of a Raindrop Game (30-45 min)
- Soil & Pavement Permeability Experiment (45min)
Nature 101: What can I do to make the environment healthier?
- Natural World Scavenger Hunt (30-45 minutes)
- Green-Up Volunteer Project (30-90 minutes)
- Recycling Relay Race (30 minutes)
Systems and Safety: How do we get around?
- Safety Obstacle Course (30-45 minutes)
Healthy You: What makes a healthy community?
- Food Groups Relay Race (30 minutes)
- Heart Rate Experiment (30 minutes)
- Game of Life (45-90 minutes)
We will work with you to determine the length and topics covered on your Greenway excursion.