Explorers takes New Orleans youth in grades K-8 on fun, active, and educational excursions into nature in the heart of New Orleans on the Lafitte Greenway. We use the Greenway as a classroom and a playground to inspire and empower kids to become the next generation of environmental stewards. Our classes align with Louisiana GLEs and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Discover the joys of exploring the outdoors on the Lafitte Greenway;
- Examine their role in contributing to a safe and healthy environment;
- Become leaders of environmental stewardship for their families, peers, and communities, and
- Experience active, healthy lifestyle choices.
Excursions include play-based learning, teambuilding games, self-directed learning through scavenger hunts and other activities. We offer excursions in modules that can be chosen separately or combined to accommodate a variety of schedules, whether you’re visiting for one class-period or taking a half-day!
Water Wonders: Why does water matter to New Orleans?
- Green Infrastructure Scavenger Hunt (30-45 min)
- Journey of a Raindrop Game (30-45 min)
- Soil & Pavement Permeability Experiment (45min)
Nature 101: What can I do to make the environment healthier?
- Natural World Scavenger Hunt (30-45 minutes)
- Green-Up Volunteer Project (30-90 minutes)
- Recycling Relay Race (30 minutes)
Systems and Safety: How do we get around?
- Safety Obstacle Course (30-45 minutes)
Healthy You: What makes a healthy community?
- Food Groups Relay Race (30 minutes)
- Heart Rate Experiment (30 minutes)
- Game of Life (45-90 minutes)
We will work with you to determine the length and topics covered on your Greenway excursion.
To learn more about our Explorers program, or to arrange an excursion for your class, youth group, or after school program, fill out our inquiry form.
Download our permission slip here.