Our people and small businesses are the strength of our community. While we are under the #StayHome mandate in the city to prevent the spread of COVID-19, our small businesses need our help to maintain their operations and support their staff. Here’s how you can help the businesses of the Greenway!
3530 Toulouse St, New Orleans, LA 70119
OPEN - Online or by appointment!
Email bayoubicyclesspecialized.com to set up an appointment for new bike purchases and major service orders. Stay updated with them on Instagram.
Thank you to Michael Ricks, District Director of the Small Business Administration (SBA), for leading an informative webinar on SBA COVID-19 Loans & Resources. Special thanks to Henry Kothmann of the Greater Mid-City Business Association for moderating.
Materials & Resources:
SBA COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loans
- Where to Apply: COVID-19 EIDL Online Application Form - Use this link to apply for SBA's forgivable loan advance of up to $10,000 and additional loan resources. Applications must be submitted online at this website to be eligible for the $10,000 loan advance.
- Correction: Checking Status of COVID-19 EIDL Application - Out of date information was shared during the April 1st webinar; there is not currently an SBA website for applicants to check the status of their loan application online.
Paycheck Protection Program
- About the Program: SBA Guidance on the Paycheck Protection Program
- Where to Apply: Apply directly through your bank.
We have compiled questions submitted via email and Zoom Q&A, and shared them with the SBA team for review. The SBA team is working to respond to questions not addressed during the webinar. As available, we will post these responses publicly here. Please stay tuned.
New policy guidelines are rapidly evolving. Michael Ricks has generously offered to return for a future webinar as policy guidelines become available. Please stay tuned and let us know if there is particular information that would be useful as a topic for a future webinar at [email protected]
As COVID-19 continues to spread and impact more New Orleanians, we all need to do our part to curb community spread and reduce the burden on our healthcare system. The Greenway is still open and it’s one of the essential places you can go for exercise during the current Stay Home mandate, as long as you’re not in a group, and staying at least 6 feet from others. In addition to the basic CDC guidance, there are a handful of ways we can all keep each other safe while enjoying the Greenway we love. Here are some tips on safe outdoor exercise, adapted from the New York Times:
- Don't leave home if you’re not feeling well, or if you’ve come into contact with someone with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Keep a 6 ft distance from others - The Greenway Trail is 12 feet wide, so keep to the outer edges of the trail and pass one at a time.
- Look for the least crowded path. If your schedule is flexible, try going to the Greenway when it’s less crowded, like early morning and mid-day.
- Don't gather in groups - this includes sports like basketball, football, soccer, and frisbee that require you to come in close contact with others or to touch a shared object.
Keep off fitness parks and playgrounds. For the safety of our community, the Greenway's fitness parks and playgrounds are closed.
- Avoid water fountains. Instead, bring your own water bottle.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you go outside.
- When you get home, take off your shoes at the door.
- Stay Up to Date! Be sure you're getting reliable information about the developing outbreak: check ready.nola.gov for updates about New Orleans' COVID-19 response.
On March 10th, the ribbon cutting for the Lafitte Greenway Shelter formally the city’s Brake Tag Station took place. With its renovations worth $1.5 million this new multipurpose facility will be used for programming, and rentals. We hope to foster our mission and vision as we work to bring vibrancy to this space through community events, like Greenway Festivities, along the Greenway. Be on the lookout for all the possibilities to come, so be sure to sign up for our newsletter here so you are up to date on future programming.
Greenway Fest: Postponed & Transformed
Friends of Lafitte Greenway's team has been working closely with City officials and health experts to monitor the spread of Coronavirus in Louisiana. Today, we have the opportunity to curb the spread of the virus, support public health, and relieve pressure on our healthcare system by postponing and transforming Greenway Fest, originally scheduled for Saturday, March 21st.
Spread the Fest - Not the virus
This year only, Greenway Fest will be transformed into Greenway Festivities this summer/fall: a series of music, arts, and cultural celebrations. Greenway Festivities will take the best of the Fest and spread it out throughout the season and along the trail.Read more
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is thrilled to welcome a fantastic group of new members to our Board of Directors: Michael Ricks, Misty Frye, Mike Leitzinger, Melissa Lee, Debbie de la Houssaye, and Emily Bullock. These folks were elected to the board by Greenway members at our Annual Membership Meeting this January. Read about our board members on our website: Our Team.
A new year, a new stellar team of Greenway Ambassadors. Thanks to all who applied this year to be a Greenway Ambassador, we’ve doubled the number of applicants and have managed to put together a great team! Look out for some new and familiar faces as we welcome to the team Lara Schaberg, Jeffery Nixon, Shaquilla Thomas, John Coyle, Asika Bennett, and Andrew Lagrand. Looking forward to an amazing programming year. Thank-you to Foundation for Louisiana and The Keller Family Foundation for their support of the program.
The Mystic Krewe of Nyx is building an all-inclusive playground on the Greenway. It is located next to the Mid City post office and across from the Jefferson Davis Parkway roundabout. It will be a playground for children of all abilities to play and grow. Join us at the ribbon cutting ceremony! It will be a community celebration with food, drinks and music.
Sunday, January 26th
10AM-5PM, Dedication at 11:30AM
Follow the Mystic Krewe of Nyx on instagram for updates!
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is seeking a personable, organized, and passionate fundraiser to join our team. Find more information below.
Title: Development Manager, Friends of Lafitte Greenway
Reports to: Executive Director
General Job Description: The Development Manager will manage Friends of Lafitte Greenway’s growth in fundraising through philanthropic grants, corporate and local business sponsorship, and individual giving. In coordination with the Executive Director and board of directors, the Development Manager will develop and support the execution of an annual fundraising plan. Activities include donor prospecting, donor development and cultivation, grant writing, constituent relationship data management, donor communications, and fundraising event coordination. Responsibilities may also include communications and administrative support functions. This position reports to the Executive Director, and works in close coordination with the Program Director. This is a full-time position.
- In coordination with Executive Director and committees, develop annual fundraising plan with specific and ambitious targets for each fundraising stream: philanthropic grants, corporate and business sponsorship, earned income, and individual contributions.
- Activate staff, board members and volunteers to support the execution of the annual fundraising plan.
- Expand the donor pipeline and grant opportunities through prospect identification and research.
- Plan and coordinate small fundraising events and donor appreciation events in accordance with the annual fundraising plan.
- Support Program Director in planning and executing major revenue-generating events-- including the spring Greenway Festival and fall Greenway Soirée gala.
Donor Stewardship & Relationship Management
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with Friends’ existing donor base through regular communications via email, phone calls, meetings, invitations to programs and events, etc.
- Represent Friends of Lafitte Greenway at Friends’ programs, external community meetings and events, and in individual donor meetings to build relationships with potential donors.
- Assist in scheduling and preparing materials for meetings with donors for Executive Directors and board members.
- Draft compelling donor appeals, blog posts, social media posts, and thank you letters that connect donors with Friends mission and vision.
- Manage donor data in Nationbuilder CRM database.
Grant Writing and Grants Management
- Develop grant proposals (narrative, budget, and supplementary materials) that articulate the case for support of Friends of Lafitte Greenway in clear, compelling, and persuasive written language.
- Research potential grants, maintain a calendar of relevant grant application deadlines and reporting timelines, and build relationships with philanthropic donors.
- Support grant reporting in coordination with the Program Director and Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two to four years relevant work experience in nonprofit development
Required Skills and Attributes
- An entrepreneurial spirit with a high degree of creativity, flexibility, and initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to listen, lead, persuade, motivate, convey key messages, respect and diplomatically maintain positive relationships with a wide range of audiences and constituencies throughout the community
- A passion for our mission and development
- Excellent interpersonal skills, personable demeanor, and collaborative orientation; a team player.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work in a deadline-oriented office in a complex, fast-moving, and changing environment
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Graphic Design experience preferred
- Proven record of securing successful grants, ranging from $5,000 to $100,000
- Data management skills preferred.
- Event planning experience
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience
Friends of Lafitte Greenway is an equal-opportunity employer, and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard for race, sex, color, religion, gender, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, culture, or ancestry. Friends will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.
Send an email to [email protected] by Friday, February 14th with:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter, and
- Name, title, and contact information for two references
We're proud of our very own Nellie Catzen and Sophie Vorhoff for being awarded Bike Easy's Advocate of the Year Award in 2019. Thanks, Sophie and Nellie, for your fearless leadership to make New Orleans streets safer for all, and thanks to our friends at Bike Easy for the honor.