Help ensure that the Greenway is a safe, active, and vibrant public space.
To apply for a board member position: Please submit a letter-of-interest and resume or equivalent to the Nominating Committee at email@example.com by Monday, January 6, 2020.
Call for board members -2020-2023 Term:
Friends of Lafitte Greenway was formed in early 2006 by New Orleans community members who saw an opportunity to rethink their community’s landscape to enhance livability, environmental sustainability, open space equity, health, and revitalization. The organization built a network of diverse constituents who shared its vision of preserving the continuous open space in the former Lafitte rail corridor, and developing a Greenway that encourages active living, stimulates economic development, and links adjacent neighborhoods, cultural amenities, historic sites, and public spaces.
The Lafitte Greenway opened in November 2015 as a 2.6 mile pedestrian and bike path and linear park, connecting neighborhoods from Armstrong Park to City Park. The backbone of New Orleans' bike network, the Greenway is now used by 320,000 people annually.
Friends of Lafitte Greenway (Friends) is the City of New Orleans and the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission’s (NORD’s) official partner, working together to program, develop, and steward the Greenway. Friends is a community-driven organization, guided by a Board of Directors, members, volunteers, Ambassadors, and staff.
To build, program, and promote the Lafitte Greenway as a great public space.
A healthy and vibrant public space that connects people to nature, their destinations, and each other.
Accountability ∙ Equity ∙ Sustainability ∙ Collaboration ∙ Joy
During your 3-year tenure the organization has big plans to implement our Strategic Plan, including the following key initiatives:
- Grow the Greenway’s role as a highly-used, community-oriented public space through expanded arts, cultural, and recreational programs, and excellent design and capital development.
- Ensure that the Greenway is a well-maintained ecosystem that is thriving, attractive and sustainable through stewardship, maintenance, and environmental education.
- Expand the Greenway’s role as a transportation connector that safely links neighborhoods and locations along the Greenway through design, development, and education.
- Increase individual giving, corporate, philanthropic support, and earned income opportunities to power our impact.
- Strengthen community engagement and communications.
We ask that you are willing to work as a team and openly share ideas. Additionally, we seek candidates with any or all of the following attributes:
- Knowledge and connections to the communities along the Lafitte Greenway.
- Leaders in the local business community.
- Community members from Greenway neighborhoods.
- Commitment to helping Friends achieve its fundraising goals through network development and personal giving.
- Access to diverse political and community networks.
- Ability to serve as an active, engaged board member for one 3-year term.
- Prior participation with Friends of Lafitte Greenway as a member or volunteer is appreciated.
Availability: Our board members serve on alternate rotating terms. This 3-year term begins in January 2020. After the first 3-year term, board members may be invited to renew for a second 3-year term.
Commitment Details: As a volunteer working board, board members commit approximately 4-10 hours per month on tasks including:
- Attending board meetings (7 per year)
- Participation on at least one committee (committees include: Fund Development, Planning & Design, Soirée Planning, Greenway Fest Planning, Finance, and Streets Team).
- Participation in occasional events such as the Greenway Fest, Greenway Soirée, and happy hours.
- Other responsibilities include bringing your networking resources, fundraising support, and becoming a champion of our shared cause.
Fundraising Support: A chief responsibility of our board members is to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the organization. The organization has a culture of fundraising that begins with board leadership. Board members have set a collective commitment (together as a board) to annually raise a minimum of $100,000 in total through a combination of personal donations and other fundraising support, such as recruiting donations, connecting staff to personal and professional networks, supporting grant opportunities, and assisting with donor cultivation.
Benefits: We are an all-volunteer, unpaid board. Benefits of joining the board of directors include: giving back to the community while gaining excellent experience working hand-in-hand with a committed team, being a part of shaping the future of a world-class Greenway, becoming familiar with current urban planning issues in New Orleans, and networking with local civic leaders.
Number of Seat Available: Friends of Lafitte Greenway is seeking to fill 4 board seats for the 2020-2023 board term. New board members will be elected by the organization’s membership as the January 29, 2020 Annual Membership Meeting.
Other Ways to Get Involved: Friends of Lafitte Greenway’s work is driven by our committees, composed of community volunteers, board members, and staff. Joining our committees as a volunteer is a great way to support the organization, and is often a path to board membership. Please consider volunteering on one of our committees, whether or not the joining the board is right for you: Streets Team Outreach, Fund Development, Greenway Soirée, Greenway Fest, and Planning and Design. Committees are open to all members of Friends of Lafitte Greenway. Join or renew your membership at lafittegreenway.org/membership. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about getting involved.
Inclusivity: Friends of Lafitte Greenway is committed to community engagement and strives to include a diversity of voices in the process of programming and planning for improvements on the Greenway. We are looking for board members representing a broad range of backgrounds and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, domestic partner status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or AIDS- or HIV-status
Please Share! Do you know somebody passionate about the Lafitte Greenway who would be a good candidate? Send them this announcement. We are looking for board members and committee members representing a broad range of backgrounds and communities.
2019 Board Members: New board members will bolster an accomplished and passionate group of leaders, working to build a healthier, more vibrant New Orleans community.
- Kevin Centanni (Board Chair), Owner, Rosedale Restaurant
- Natalie Mitchell (Vice-Chair), Political Strategist
- Larissa Muetzel (Treasurer), Quickbooks Pro Advisor
- Darby Shields (Secretary), Cycling Advocate
- Susannah Burley, Executive Director, SOUL
- Foster Duncan, Operating Partner, Bernhard Capital Partners
- Ellen Frischhertz, Board Member, Liberty’s Kitchen
- Susan Guidry, Former New Orleans City Councilmember
- John Hopper, Nonprofit and Development Professional
- Antonia Keller, Director of Operations, Emeril Lagasse Foundation
- Stosh Kozlowski, Principal Transportation Planner, Transdev / Regional Transit Authority
- Seth Levine, Business Lawyer & Partner, Jones Walker LLP
- Monty Lunn, Managing Partner, Atlas Greenway Partners
- Nolan Marshall III, VP of External Affairs & Policy, New Orleans Business Alliance
- Demetric Mercadel, Public Affairs, Senior Customer Specialist, Entergy New Orleans LLC
- Andreanecia Morris, Executive Director, HousingNOLA
- Kevin Stephens, Sr. MD, Senior Pastor, Christian Unity Baptist Church
- Philip Stelly, Public Information Officer, Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Charles Stewart, Loan Officer, IBERIABANK
- Leonetta Terrell, Local Organizing Ministry Member, St. Peter Claver Church